The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1919 - the first, original faculty in the Higher School of Mechanical Engineering. In accordance with market expectations and in connection with structure modifications, it has changed its name several times. Between 1919 and 1952 it operated as the Faculty of Mechanics. It was then transformed successively into the Faculty of Machine Construction (1952-1967), the Faculty of Mechanics and Technology (1967-1974), again into the Faculty of Machine Construction (1974-1998), and in 1998 into the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Management.
Since 1 January 2020, its name has been in keeping with the scientific discipline - the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. The fields of study offered by the Faculty, which include Mechanical Engineering, Management and Production Engineering, Mechatronics and Biomedical Engineering, allow students to follow degree programmes covering the broadly understood mechanical engineering area - construction, technology, automation, diagnostics and computerization, management and production engineering. Students can learn about production systems or quality management.
The latest fields of study reflect the needs of the labour market, e.g. Mechatronics students gain expertise which combines several areas of knowledge and skills and Biomedical Engineering students acquire knowledge in the area of construction and operation of medical devices and prosthetics. The Faculty has the right to confer doctoral and postdoctoral degrees of technical sciences in the discipline of mechanical engineering. There are currently four institutes operating at the Faculty.